This Mexican Chopped Salad recipe is so simple but so good. I usually double the dressing recipe so I can have it for the next week. You can always add grilled chicken, steak or fish to this salad and make it a complete meal. And if you're really feeling sassy, sprinkle some crushed tortilla chips on top.
Ingredients (makes about six servings):
- 2-3 medium romaine hearts, chipped
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 to 1 cup corn (thawed, canned, fresh, whatever you have)
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped red peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped hearts of palm or jicama
- 1 cup chopped cucumbers
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 3 avocados, sliced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl and give it a good toss.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a food processor and blend it until everything is well-mixed. If you don' t have a food processor, just make sure the cilantro is finely chopped and combine the dressing ingredients in a mason jar and shake or a bowl and stir with a whisk.
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
- Pour the dressing over the salad to taste or serve on the side.
- If you're serving salads individually, garnish with a few slices of avocado on each plate. If you're serving buffet-style, lay the slices on top of the salad.